Assistant Professor School of Earth,
Environmental, and Marine Science,
Department of Biology
MD Saydur Rahman
The University of Texas,
Rio Grande Valley School of Earth,
Environmental, and Marine Sciences.
Molecular endocrinology, stress physiology, epigenetics, ecophysiology, environmental toxicology of marine organisms.
- Rahman, M.S. and P. Thomas. 2015. Molecular characterization and hypoxia-induced upregulation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase in Atlantic croaker: reversal by antioxidant and estrogen treatments. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology 185:91-106.
- Thomas, P., M.S. Rahman, M.E. Picha, W. Tan. 2015. Impaired gamete production and viability in Atlantic croaker collected throughout the 20,000 km2 hypoxic region in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Pollution Bulletin 101:182-192.
- Rahman, M.S. and P. Thomas. 2014. Restoration of tryptophan hydroxylase functions and serotonin content in the Atlantic croaker hypothalamus by antioxidant treatment during hypoxic stress. Frontiers in Neuroscience 8 (130):1-13.
- Berg, H.A., C.D. Rice, M.S. Rahman, J. Dong, P. Thomas. 2014. Identification and characterization of membrane androgen receptors in the ZIP9 zinc transporter subfamily: I. Discovery in female Atlantic croaker and evidence ZIP9 mediates testosterone-induced apoptosis of ovarian follicle cells. Endocrinology 155:4237-4249.
- Mohan, J., M.S. Rahman, P. Thomas and B. Walter. 2014. Influence of constant and periodic experimental hypoxic stress on Atlantic croaker otolith chemistry. Aquatic Biology 20:1-11.
- Rahman, M.S. and P. Thomas. 2013. Interactive effects of hypoxia with estradiol-17Î² on tryptophan hydroxylase activity and serotonin levels in the Atlantic croaker hypothalamus. General and Comparative Endocrinology 192:71-76.
- Rahman, M.S. and P. Thomas. 2012. Effects of hypoxia exposure on cytochrome P4501A (CYP1A) expression in Atlantic croaker: molecular mechanisms of CYP1A down-regulation. PLoS ONE 7:e40825.
- Thomas, P. and M.S. Rahman. 2012. Extensive reproductive disruption, gonadal masculinization, and aromatase suppression in Atlantic croaker collected from an extensive area in the northern Gulf of Mexico hypoxic zone. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 279:28-38.
- Kodama, K., M.S. Rahman, T. Horiguchi and P. Thomas. 2012. Assessment of hypoxia-inducible factor-1Î± mRNA expression in mantis shrimp as a biomarker of environmental hypoxia exposure. Biology Letters 8:278-281.
- Rahman, M.S. and P. Thomas. 2011. Characterization of three IGFBPs in Atlantic croaker and their regulation during hypoxic stress: potential mechanisms of their upregulation by hypoxia. American Journal of Physiology- Endocrinology and Metabolism 301:E637-E648.
- Rahman, M.S., I.A. Khan, and P. Thomas. 2011. Tryptophan hydroxylase: a target for neuroendocrine disruptions. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health B 14:473-494.