Charles University, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology
Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology.
1st Faculty of Medicine
Charles University in Prague
128 00, Prague 2, Stunickova 7
biological monitoring and assessment of health risks of human exposure to persistent environmental pollutants (toxic metals and polyhalogenated hydrocarbons), adverse effects of environmental pollution on human health including indoor environment, management of hospital hygiene related problems, traffic emissions and epidemiology implications of vaccination refusal activities. environmental epidemiology of cancer in collaboration with IARC/WHO/Lyon and NCI/Bethesda/USA and implication of a non-profit principle in sustainable financing of health care.
- Graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague in 1961.
- In 1967-1972 appointed with the Institute of Hygiene (presently the National Institute of Public Health).
- 1973-1986 Assistant Prof. at the Chair of General and Environmental Hygiene, Medical Faculty of Hygiene, Charles University.
- Since September1986 active as a senior research worker at the Institute of Tropical Health at Postgraduate Institute of Physicians and Pharmacists in Prague charged with founding the Department of Tropical Hygiene.
- Head of the Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology at the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, appointed since November 1 1990 until August 31 2009. Until today active as professor at the Institute.
- The author and co-author of over 200 publications registered in Web of Science. Citation Index 5804, h-index 39.
- Since 1972 temporary advisor of WHO. During 1990-1992 advisor to the Federal Committee for Environment of CSFR.
- Since 1993 temporary consultant of the NATO Committee on Challenges to Modern Society. Since 2001 up to 2008 representative of the Czech Republic in the Standing Committee of the European Medical Research Councils.
- Member of five international scientific societies, founding member of the Central and Eastern European Chapter of International Society of Environmental Epidemiology and in years 1999-2001 President elect of the Chapter.
- Co-chair of the editorial board of the Central European Journal of Public Health and member of editorial boards of the other three international journals.