Purdue University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
217 Seitz Materials
University of Illinois
- Expert in molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) of III-V/Arsenide compound semiconductors, 2D quantum wells, material design/epitaxy on GaAs and InP substrate.
- Extensive practical experience in bulk single crystal growth, process development, and materials characterization (Raman scattering, X-ray diffraction, and transport measurement).
- Problem solving in solid state physics by means of High Resolution TEM, scanning electron microscopy and focused ion beam.
- Hands on experiences in micro/nano fabrication including SQUIDS, CVD, wet etching, optical lithography, familiar with clean-room environment and characterization techniques.
- Strong skills in Matlab, Labview, C/C++, Visual Basic and data analysis, familiar with python and statistical methods.
- Experience in directing the effort of complex projects and coordinating the efforts of an interdisciplinary engineering team.
- Ph.D. in Optics, Jilin University, China, 2001
- M.S. in Optics, Jilin University, China, 1998
- 2005- present- Researcher, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Urbana, IL, USA.
- 1998-2004- Graduate Research Assistant, Jilin University
- I am interested in studying fundamental properties of solid state systems, such as the correlated electron systems that have rich phase diagrams as a function of doping, including insulating, ferromagnetic metal, and antiferromagnetic ground states.
- I am using various optical techniques, including reflectance and light-scattering spectroscopies, to characterize the excitation spectra of these materials, and to elucidate the mechanisms driving the different phase transitions.
- I am also interested in synthesizing and characterizing several materials using flux and other crystal growth techniques and analyze their properties using various characterization methods.
- Two-stage orbital order and dynamical spin frustration in KCuF3, James C. T. Lee, Shi Yuan, Siddhartha Lal, Nature Physics 8,63, (2012)doi:10.1038/nphys2117
- Evidence for a pressure-induced quantum liquid in KCuF3, arXiv:1107.1433v1
- Shi YUAN, Jin-Hui Wu, Zhankui Jiang and Jin-Yue Gao, phase control of light amplification with dynamically irreversible pathways of population transfer in a system. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B. Vol. 19, No. 5 (2002) 1185-1188.
- Shi YUAN and Jin-Yue Gao, effects of quantum interference on the spontaneous emission in a coherently driven three-level atom, Eur. Phys.J.D 11, 267-272 (2000).
- Jin YU, Shi YUAN, Jin-Yue Gao, Lianzhi Sun, "Optical pulse propagation in Fabry-Perot etalon: analytical discussion", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, No. 9 (2001) 2153-2160.
- Shi YUAN, Jin-Hui Wu, Jin-Yue Gao and Zhan-Kui Jiang, absorption properties of a driven four-level Doppler broadened system, Chinese Physics, Vol 10, No 4, (2001) 300-306.
- Shi YUAN, Wei-Ning Man, Jin Yu and Jin-Yue Gao, time delay properties of a Fabry-Perot interferometer, CHIN. PHYS. LETT, Vol 18, No 3, (2001) 364-366.