Lecturer, UHW Main Building.
UHW Main Building.
- My research interest is to investigate the cancer cells orientated cross-talks with the extracellular matrix (ECM) and stroma cells during the cancer development, progression and metastases.
- The first group of molecules of my interest is bone morphogenetic proteins and their signalling.
- BMPs play diverse and critical roles in a vicious cycle between cancer cells and the local environment in both primary and secondary tumours, and also contribute to the tumour-associated angiogenesis.
- Following my PhD study of bone morphogenetic proteins (BMP) and their signalling in prostate cancer, I continue to explore the mechanism(s) of bone metastasis from prostate cancer and breast cancer, seek and develop therapeutic approach particularly by targeting BMPs signalling.
- The second group of molecules which we focus are anthrax toxin receptor 1 (ANTXR1, also known as tumour endothelial marker 8, TEM-8) and anthrax toxin receptor 2 (ANTXR2, also known as capillary morphogenesis gene 2, CMG2).
- These two molecules are initially identified as markers or genes for the angiogenesis.
- Our recent studies have shown that aberrant expression and function of these two molecules in the disease progression of breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- As these two transmembrane proteins play an important role mediating adhesion and migration of cancer cells upon ECM, and also orchestrating the consequent interactions between cancer cells and micro-environment to enable tumour growth and dissemination.
Education and qualifications
- 2004-2007: PhD, Cancer Biology, Metastasis and Angiogenesis Research Group, Department of Surgery, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
- 1993-1996: MSc, Master of Surgery, house officer at University Hospital of Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jinan, Shandong, China
- 1985-1993: MB and BCh, Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jinan, Shandong, China
- 2013-present: Lecturer of Cancer Biology and Oncology, Cardiff China Medical Research Collaborative, Division of Cancer and Genetics, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
- 2007-2013: Posdoctoral Research Associate, Metastasis and Angiogenesis Research Group, Department of Surgery, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
- 1996-2004: Lecturer of Surgery and Registrar, Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Shandong University of TCM, Jinan, Shandong, China