820 Harrison Avenue
FGH Building 1st Floor
Boston, MA, 02118
Cancer biomarker research.
- My interest in clinical research started during my residency.
- While at a tertiary referral cancer center in Turkey I had the opportunity to contribute to several clinical research projects.
- One of these studies evaluated the frequency and determinants of metabolic syndrome in breast cancer patients.
- Our exciting results shed light into possible contribution of aromatase inhibitors to development of metabolic syndrome.
- Through another study on management of brain metastases from breast cancer, we were able to elucidate clinical prognostic factors for this dismal condition.
- I was fortunate to continue my journey in the field of clinical research in the United States during internal medicine residency and currently with a Hematology/Oncology fellowship at Boston University.
- During first year of my residency I designed and performed a retrospective study which revealed high B-natriuretic peptide levels in amyloidosis patients treated with lenalidomide.
- It was the first study reporting such association; the results were presented at ASH 2012 and was published in Blood Journal.
- I also had the opportunity to design, conduct and analyze a retrospective study looking into the association between heparin-platelet factor 4 antibody and mortality.
- The results were presented at ASH 2013 and is under review for publication in Platelet Journal.
- Currently, while in my fellowship, I am focusing on the predictive role of a biomarker for EGFR targeted therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer patients, which I think will have a major impact on how we treat colorectal cancer patients.
- The study is currently at the last stage with completion of pathological assessment of biomarkers and pending for analysis of the association between clinical responses and level of biomarker expression.
- The hands-on experience I had in the translational lab was invaluable and encouraged me to continue with further translational projects.
- I am also working on a retrospective study in different cancer types, to look for the association between topo-I-pS10 levels and clinical response to topo-I inhibitors.
Positions and Honors.
- 06/2005 - 05/2009 Internal Medicine Residency, Hacettepe Univ. Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
- 06/2009 - 06/2012 Internal Medicine Residency, Steward Carney Hospital, Boston, MA
- 07/2012 - Present Hematology/Oncology Fellowship, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
- 12/1998 - Ranked 1st in the Eastern Region in the National Biology Exam (Turkey)
- 06/2000- Ranked in top 1% in the National University Entrance Exam (Turkey)
- 09/2006- Ranked in top 1% in the National Medical Residency Exam (Turkey)
- 11/2009- Ranked in top 10% in the National Internal Medicine In-service Exam (USA)
- 06/2014- Selected as chief fellow for Hematology/Oncology Fellowship at Boston Medical Center matol.
- 2008 May- 80 (5):381-5.