3665 Via Mar Monte
migraine; pain; genetics
- Dr. Stephen J. Peroutka, M.D., Ph.D., has been Vice President of Global Product Development and Therapeutic Area Head for Neuroscience at Pharmaceutical Product Development, LLC since May 2017.
- Dr. Peroutka serves as an Independent Consultant to The Pharmaceutical And Biotechnology Industries.
- He served as an Advisor at SciFluor Life Sciences, LLC. He previously served as Chief Medical Officer at Semnur Pharmaceuticals.
- Dr. Peroutka served as the Chief Medical Officer and Executive Vice President at NeurogesX, Inc. from November 9, 2011 to July 8, 2013.
- He served as Vice President, Scientific Affairs of PRA, a global Clinical Research Organization, where he was pivotal in leading and growing the neurology franchise over the past three years.
- Dr. Peroutka served as the Chief Medical Officer of Zogenix, Inc., since November 2007.
- Prior to that, Dr. Peroutka was the Pain Franchise Development Leader at Johnson & Johnson, focusing on the strategic assessment of pain products in the development pipeline.
- He is a Neurologist and Pharmacologist, whose research and professional experience in neuroscience spans twenty-five years.
- From 1993 to 1997, Dr. Peroutka served as the Chief Executive Officer and President of Spectra Biomedical, Inc., an association genetics company focused on migraine, which he founded. In 1997, Spectra Biomedical, Inc. was acquired by Glaxo Wellcome Inc. after which time he served as President until 1999.
- He served as the first Director of the Department of Neuroscience at Genentech, Inc. in the early 1990's. He served as the Chief Medical Officer of Collabra Pharma from 2000 to 2001, a Vice President of Clinical Research at Deltagen, Inc., from 2001 to 2002.
- He served as the Chief Executive Officer and President of Synergia Pharma, Inc., from 2003 to 2005.
- From August 2005 to October 2007, he held positions of increasing responsibility at Johnson & Johnson, served as a Medical and Business Strategy Leader.
- He served as an Assistant Professor of Neurology and Pharmacology at Stanford University from 1984 to 1990 and served as the Chief of Neurology Service at The Palo Alto VA Hospital from 1988 to 1990.
- He serves as a Director of Synergia Pharma, Inc. From 1990 to 1993, he worked at Genentech, Inc. where he established the Department of Neuroscience and served as its first Director since 1991.
- Dr. Peroutka is a board Certified Neurologist. Dr. Peroutka earned his A.B. degree from Cornell University. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. in pharmacology and experimental therapeutics in 1979 and 1980, respectively, from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- He completed an Internship at Stanford in 1981 and a Residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital.