Institute of Biochemistry
Faculty of Medicine
University of Giessen
D-35392 Giessen, Germany
Sialic acids, Polysialic acid, HPLC, GC, MALDI-TOF-MS ESI-MS.
- I have studied Biotechnology at the University of Applied Sciences in Giessen-Friedberg, Germany.
- In 2004, I have joined the group of Prof. Dr. Rudolf Geyer working at that time on the characterization of the glycosylation characteristics of the polysialyltransferases ST8SiaII and ST8SiaIV in vivo as well as on the establishment of novel strategies for the characterization of sialic acid polymers by mass spectrometry (MS).
- Since 2012, I am an independent group leader at the Institute of Biochemistry, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen.
- Our group is designed and developed further HPLC- and MS-based techniques for in-depth characterization of oligo/polySia as well as CMP-activated sialic acid derivatives.
- Moreover, our group investigates the biological role of polySia in the mammals.
- Besides the biological role of polySia, we are highly interested in glycoengineering and its capability for medical applications.
- Furthermore, the development of novel highly sensitive HPLC- and MS-based strategies for in-depth characterization of mono/oligo/polySia represents the methodological focus of our group.