Department of Pharmacology Northwestern University,
Feinberg School of Medicine Ward 8-196 303
East Chicago Avenue Chicago,
IL 60611 USA
- I am an organic and medicinal chemist, specialized in synthesis of heterocyclic compounds such used in new drug discovery and life science research.
- I am also the lead chemist on the development of new classes of protein kinase inhibitors that are first in class drug candidates for neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric diseases.
- This more recent work is described in the peer review literature and in international patent applications.
- As the senior chemist leading these novel therapeutic candidate developments I perform design, discovery stage chemical synthesis of various new compounds, and then take the biological outcomes from in vivo tests to adapt the best-in-class compounds to a commercially viable large-scale production chemistry to be transferred to industry for commercialization.
- Ph.D in Organic Chemistry Jadavpur University, Calcutta, INDIA Masters of Science in Chemistry Jadavpur University, Calcutta, INDIA Bachelor of Science with Honors in Chemistry Jadavpur University, Calcutta, INDIA
- 2006 to date: Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology (previously named MPBC), Chicago, IL . Senior chemist, Senior Research Associate.
- 2004-2006: Visiting research scholar Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine,.
- 1980-2003: Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT), CSIR-lab, India's premier Research Institute for chemical research, at Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Joined as a junior scientist and promoted to senior scientist, from 1989 onwards I was principal scientist - E II (assistant director) position.
- 1978-1980: Received ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) fellowship as a research fellow in the department of Chemotherapy at Chittaranjan National Cancer Research Centre (CNCRC), Calcutta, India.
- I worked on synthesis of α- Methylene- γ -lactone derivatives of substituted nucleic acid bases as potential anticancer agents.
- And then received a job offer at CSIR (Council of scientific and Industrial Research) laboratory, India's prestigious laboratory at IICT, Hyderabad.
- 2004 to date: Member, American Chemical Society (ACS) 2006 to date: Member Women's center Northwestern University
- 2015 to date: Member of Society of Neuroscience (SfN)
- 2015 to date: Marquis Who's Who VIP Number is: 37107093
Publications Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Zhengqiu Zhou, Adam D. Bachstetter, Claudia B.Spani, Saktimayee M Roy, D Martin Watterson, Linda Van Eldik. Retention of normal glia function by an isoform-selective protein kinase inhibitor drug candidate that modulates cytokine production and cognitive outcomes, Journal of Neuroinflamation (2017) 14:75. DOI: 10.1186/s12974-017-0845-2.
- Nicole Maphis, Shanya Jiang, Guixiang Xu, Olga N Kokio-Cochran, Saktimayee M Roy, Linda J Van Eldik, Martin D Watterson, Bruce T Lamb, Kiran Bhaskar, Ph.D. Selective suppression of α -isoform of p38 MAPK rescues late-stage tau pathology, Alzheimer's Research & Therapy (2016) 8:54.
- Saktimayee M. Roy, Valerie L. Grum-Tokars, James P. Schavocky,Faisal Saeed, Agnieszka Staniszewski, Andrew F. Teich, Ottavio Arancio, Adam D. Bachstetter, Scott J. Webster, Linda J. Van Eldik, George Minasov, Wayne F. Anderson, Jeffrey C. Pelletier, D. Martin Watterson. Targeting human central nervous system protein kinases: an isoform selective p38αMAPK inhibitor that attenuates disease progression in Alzheimer's disease mouse models. ACS Chemical Neuroscience, (2015). DOI: 10.1021/acschemneuro.5b00002.
- D. Martin Watterson, Valerie L Grum-Tokars, Saktimayee M Roy, James P Schavocky, Brinda Desai Bradaric, Adam D Bachstetter, Bin Xing, Edgardo Dimayuga, Faisal Saeed, Hong Zhang, Agnieszka Staniszewski, Jeffery C Pelletier, George Minasov, Wayne F Anderson, Ottavio Arancio, Linda J Van Eldik. Development of novel in vivo chemical probes to address CNS Protein kinase involvement in synaptic dysfunction. PLoS One, (2013), 8(6): e66226. DOI: 10.1371/ journal. pone. 0066226.
- Laura K. Chico, Heather A. Behanna, Wenhui Hu, Guifa Zhong, Saktimayee Mitra Roy, D. Martin Watterson. Molecular Properties and CYP2D6 Substrates: Central nervous system therapeutics case study and pattern Analysis of a Substrate Database. Drug metabolism and disposition, (2009), 37(11), 2204-2211. DOI: 10.1124/dmd.109.028134
- Lenka Munoz , - Hantamalala Ralay Ranaivo, - Saktimayee M Roy, Wenhui Hu, Jeffrey M Craft, Laurie K McNamara, Laura Wing Chico, Linda J Van Eldik, D martin Watterson. A novel p38αMAPK inhibitor suppresses brain proinflammatory cytokine up-regulation and attenuates synaptic dysfunction and behavioral deficits in an Alzheimer’s disease mouse model. Journal of Neuroinflammation , (2007), 4: 21. DOI: 10.1186/1742-2094-4-21. - Equal contributors.
- Wenhui Hu, Hantamalala Ralay Ranaivo, Saktimayee M. Roy, Heather A. Behanna, Laura K. Wing, Lenka Munoz, Ling Guo, Linda J. Van Eldik , D. Martin Watterson. Development of a novel therapeutic suppressor of brain proinflammatory cytokine up-regulation that attenuates synaptic dysfunction and behavioral deficits. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, (2007), 17 (2), 414- 418. DOI: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2006.10.028.
- Utpal Sanyal, Saktimoyee Mitra , Prasun Paul , S.K. Chakraborti . New α- Methylene- γ -lactone derivatives of substituted nucleic acid bases as potential anticancer agents. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, (1986), 29(5), 595-599. DOI: 10.1021/jm00155a001.
- Utpal Sanyal, Saktimoyee Mitra , Prasun Paul , S.K. Chakraborti. New α- Methylene- γ -lactone derivatives of substituted nucleic acid bases as potential anticancer agents. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 1986, 29(8),1555-1555. DOI: 10.1021/jm00158a600.
- Y. Annapurna, Sakti Mitra, D.S. Iyengar, S.Nagabhusan Rao and U.T. Bhalerao. Antimicrobial activity of leaf extracts of Polyalthia longifolia. Journal of Phytopathology, 1983, 106, 183-185.