247 Life Science Building
Alabama State University
915 S. Jackson Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
Epigenetics of obesity, Cancer epigenetics, development and identification of tumor markers
- Dr. Saldanha comes from a research background and has been a laboratory instructor for nearly 8 years. Some of her research interests pertain to the role of bioactive molecules, in particular polyphenols, in cancer inhibition or prevention.
- Sabita is currently pursuing her Ph.D. degree from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
- She graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in LifeSciences Biochemistry in 1994 and then with a Master’s degrees in LifeSciences, Biotechnology, in 1996, from India, from the University of Mumbai.
- She relocated to the United States in 1999 and obtained another Master’s degree in Biology and Ph.D. in genetics from UAB.
- Sabita has had extensive experience in training and mentoring students. Her ability to understand student needs has earned her a position as a STEM faculty mentor and MARC mentor, here at ASU.
- Her students have won scientific poster competitions held at ASU.
- Some of her other accomplishments have been her role in establishing the EnvironMentors chapter at ASU in 2007, in which she served as the program coordinator for two years.
- Some of the students she recruited won the EnvironMentors poster competition, at the EnvironMentors Science fair held at Washington DC, May 2009.
- Mrs. Saldanha has lent her expertise to many of the science related programs at ASU.
- She has been a guest lecturer for the Alabama Science in Motion (ASIM) programs for the past two years and has helped train high school teachers in relevant biological areas.
- She has successfully collaborated with the ASIM biology coordinator at ASU and the HudsonAlpha group, a biotechnology company, at Huntsville to test the efficacy of biological experimental kits for high schools in Montgomery and other local counties.
- She has also been a science instructor for the TRIO program at ASU for two years.
- In addition to her research and teaching credentials, Mrs. Saldanha also has a strong administrative background.
- In India, in 1997, She was appointed research coordinator for the sub-branch of the Medical Research Council Environmental Epidemiology Unit, South Hampton UK.
- She successfully collaborated with several medical institutions all over India in research pertaining to maternal nutrition and fetal development.
- One of her proudest moments was her role in the establishment of a research society in India called the Society for the Natal Effects on Health in Adults (SNEHA), of which she is a founding member.