Dept. of Medicine and Sciences,
Aging University "G. d'Annunzio",
Via dei Vestini,
6013 Chieti scalo (CH) Italy.
- Allergic diseases, mainly pathogenesis of food allergy, in vitro diagnostic tests, IgE regulation, allergenic molecules, urticarial, atopic dermatitis, mediators;
- Primary immunodeficiencies, mainly immunoglobulin deficiencies, ataxia-telangectasia, T cell defects and SCID, diagnosis, immunological aspects and therapy with immunoglobulins (i.v. and s.c.);
- HIV and other viral diseases, mainly on the immunological aspects, host correlates of susceptibility and resistance, immunological response to treatment (HAART and LTnP);
- Rheumatic diseases, including SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, spondiloarthropathies, tendinitis;
- Immunosenescence, changes of lymphocyte subsets and cytokine levels in normal aging and in age-associated diseases.
- Pathomechanisms, antibodies, IgE and IgG subclasses, immune complexes, autoantibodies, cytokines and chemokines, other soluble mediators, cell-mediated immunity, biomarkers for diseases and pathological processes.
- Member of the Department of Medicine and Sciences of Aging (School of Medicine)
- Director of the School of Specialty in Rheumatology (aggregated to Universities of Bari and Foggia)
- Member of the board of the Department of Medicine and Sciences of Aging.
Member of the following scientific societies:
- Italian Society of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (SIAIC),
- now SIAAIC (including asthma) Italian Society of Immunology, Clinical Immunology and Allergology (SIICA),
- Italian Society of Internal Medicine (SIMI),
- College of Internal Medicine Teachers (COLMED09),
- European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI),
- European Society for Immune Deficiencies (ESID, until 2001),
- British Society of Immunology (BSI, until 2002),
- American Academy for the Advancement of Sciences (AAAS, until 2003),
- Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS).
- Other activities and research interests
- Board member of the ESID, part of the Committee on Clinical Immunology, which established the European Registry of Primary Immunodeficiencies;
- EAACI member of the Subcommittee on adverse reactions to foods, panelist for two Position papers in 1995 and 1998 on food allergy;
- member of the Directory Council of SIAIC (1989-94, and then elected in 2005-present), participant to the Memorandum for adverse drug reactions of SIAIC (1997-8), council member for the Regional Section of Lazio-Abruzzo (2001-4 and 2012-5).
- Consultant in Immunology of the IRCCS S.Gallicano-IFO Polo dermatology of Rome (2000-2002).
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Clinical Research Center of Centro Studi sull'Invecchiamento (CESI) of Foundation UniversitÃ "G. d'Annunzio".
- Founder member of StemTeCh, association for research on stem cells of the Universities of Chieti-Pescara and Teramo, part of StemCell Italy.
- Member of the Steering Committee del Center of Excellence on Aging at CESI, from 2003-14 Head of the Unit of Biogerontology and Cytokines.
- In 2005 member of the Scientific Committee of the National Association against AIDS (ANLAIDS), of the League against Lupus (lupus-Italy),
- member of the IpiNet for primary immunodeficiencies (PIDs), president of the section for PIDs in the SIAAIC and member of the committee on primary immunodeficiencies and the Nomenclature committee of the World allergy organization (WAO).
- Member of the ImAginE network of the E.U. for research on aging and related diseases.
- Author /coauthor of over 300 publications, including mainly peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, proceedings of scientific meetings and congresses, >90% in English. Speaker for invited lectures at National and International congresses of scientific societies (in Europe, U.S., China and Japan);
- lectures and seminars at several meetings organized by medical associations, organizations and universities, oral communications and poster presentations.