Consultant in Invasive Cardiology,
Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories,
Department of Cardiology,
Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias,
Julián Clavería S/N,
33006 Oviedo, Spain.
- Percutaneous aortic valve replacement.
- Percutaneous vascular closures.
- Antiplatelet agents.
- Coronary artery disease.
- Air pollution.
- Brugada syndrome.
- Ergospirometry test
- Dr Avanzas graduated in Medicine at Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain in 1998.
- He completed Senior House Officer posts and registrar training in Cardiology at Gregorio Marañón Hospital in Madrid, Spain.
- He took up a Spanish Heart Foundation Research Fellowship at Coronary Artery Research Unit, St. George´s Hospital Medical School in London and some months after that he was appointed as Associate Research Investigator of the Cardiovascular Biology Research Centre at St. George´s Hospital in London.
- He was appointed as Consultant Cardiologist in Gregorio Marañón Hospital, Madrid, Spain and he also took up an Interventional Cardiology Fellowship in Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Oviedo, Spain.
- He is now Consultant in Invasive Cardiology in this Hospital.
- His major interests currently are in the field of coronary artery disease, antiplatelet agents, biomarkers, effect of air pollution on cardiovascular outcomes and interventional cardiology, particularly percutaneous valve replacement.
- Dr. Avanzas’s most important research interests have been the use of TAVI to treat patients with aortic stenosis and the ability of biomarkers to predict coronary artery disease. He has continued interest in this area.
- Regarding editorial activity, he is actual and past associate editor of several Q1 journals. Dr Avanzas is author of more than 170 peer-reviewed articles and invited contributions.
- He is also involved in teaching medical students and postgraduate teaching. Dr Avanzas is a frequent speaker at national and international meetings.