Pests and Plant Protection Dept.,
Agricultural & Biological Division,
National Research Centre,
El-Behous St., Dokki,
- My research program has focused on isolation of more toxic indigenous B. thuringiensis isolates from Egyptian soils and diseased insects.
- Moreover, evaluation of the potential activity of these isolates against some economically important lepidopterous cotton insect pests namely, the cotton leafworm Spodoptera littoralis (Biosduval), the American bollworm Helicoverpa (=Heliothis) armigera (Hardwick), the pink bollworm Pectinophora gossypiella (Saunders) and the greasy cutworm Agrotis ypsilon (Rottenberg) causing great damage.
- The mode of action of some of these isolates has to be investigated based on studies of the histopathological effects of B. thuringiensis on S. littoralis and P. gossypiella midguts using Scan Electron Microscope (SEM) and Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM).
- Also, my research program utilizes molecular biology tools to study molecular characterization of the B. thuringiensis isolates and show the genetic variability among different isolates and its correlation with their potency against the target lepidopterous insects and to explore the possible development of more effective formulations of B. thuringiensis for field application.
- Moreover, establishment of efficient regeneration system for tomato cultivar as pre-requisites for the development of transgenic plants was performed.
- The transgenic tomato plant harboring Cry 2Ab gene in its genetic makeup was made using gene transfer protocol.
- The Bt-tomato plants have autoresistance against the lepidopterous insects namely, H. armigera, S. littoralis and P. operculella.
- Especially, the expression of δ-endotoxins in transgenic plants has provided a very effective means to control economically important insect pests.
Editorial membership in peer international journals:
• Research In Agriculture
• American Journal of BioScience
• The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture.
- Nesreen M. Abdel Ghany, David A. O’Brochta. 2017. Delivering and testing insect genetic technologies in Spodoptera: The piggyBac system. Submitted to PLOS ONE.
- Shadia E. Abd El- Aziz; Abd El-Ghany N.M. 2017. Impact of diatomaceous earth modifications for controlling the granary weevil, Sitophilus granarius (L.), (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Accepted in Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology.
- Atef S. Abdel-Razek, Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany, Khaled Djelouah, Abdelhameed Moussa. 2017. Efficacy of Some Eco-Friendly Biopesticides against Tuta absoluta (Meyrick). Accepted in Bioscience Research.
- Amany M. Abd El-Ghany; Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany. 2017. Molluscicidal activity of Bacillus thuringiensis strains against Biomphalaria alexandrina snails. Beni-Suef University Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 6(4): 391-393.
- Atef S. Abdel-Razek, Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany, Khaled Djelouah, Abdelhameed Moussa. 2017. An evaluation of some eco-friendly biopesticides against Bemisia tabaci on two greenhouse tomato varieties in Egypt. Journal of Plant Protection Research. 57(1): 9–17.
- Abd El-Ghany N.M.; S.E. Abd El-Aziz. 2017. External Morphology of Antennae and Mouthpart Sensillae of the Granary Weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Entomological Science. 52(1): 29-38.
- Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany, Atef Sayed Abdel-Razek, Ibrahim M.A. Ebadah, Youssf A. Mahmoud 2016. Evaluation of some microbial agents, natural and chemical compounds for controlling tomato leaf miner, Tuta absoluta (Meyrick) (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae). Journal of Plant Protection Research. 56(4): 372-379.
- Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany, E.S. Abdel-Wahab, S.S. Ibrahim. 2016. Population Fluctuation and Evaluation The efficacy Of Pheromone-Based Traps with Different Color on Tomato Leafminer Moth, Tuta absoluta (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) In Egypt. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 7(4): 1533-1539.
- Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany, Enas M. Abdel Ghany, Salama, H.S. 2015. Efficiency of New B. thuringiensis Isolates from Egypt against the Pink Bollworm Pectinophora gossypiella (Saunders). Biopesticide International 11(1): 12–19.
- Nesreen M. Abd El-Ghany; Dalia E. Lotfy and E. M. Embaby. 2015. Isolation and Evaluation of Native Metarhizium anisopliae Strains against the Greater Wax Moth Galleria mellonella Linnaeus (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Egyptian Journal of Biological Pest Control, 25(1):199-203.