University of Kwa-Zulu Natal,
School of Health Sciences,
Room 505, 5th Floor, Block E ,
University Road, Chiltern Hills,
Private Bag X54004 Durban 4000, South Africa.
Viral diseases, Diagnostic Virology and Microbiology, Clinical, animal and wildlife Infectious diseases, Zoonotic diseases, Antimicrobial resistance and nanoantimicrobial agents, Influenza and other Orthomyxoviruses, Pathogen Discovery, virome and microbiome analysis, Newcastle disease and Paramyxoviruses, Arboviruses, Vector borne diseases.
- Dr. Mohamed Ezzat El Zowalaty studied pharmaceutical sciences and graduated with first class excellent grades with honors in May 2000.
- He was awarded a scholarship as a visiting scholar in the Department of Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, North Carolina, USA in 2006.
- He completed his Master’s degree in microbiology, which focused on bacterial drug resistance among clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa a problematic pathogen.
- In 2009, Dr. El Zowalaty was awarded a scholarship to the USA and he completed his doctoral research work on avian influenza surveillance in the Midwest region of the United States, a project funded by the US National Institute of Health, He conducted his work at the virology unit in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minnesota, USA. Following completion of his doctoral degree, he was awarded a governmental highly competitive and prestigious postdoctoral scholarship from the Malaysian government, Institute of Bioscience, University Putra Malaysia.
- In 2013, he was appointed as an assistant Professor of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases in the Faculty of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Jazan University, Saudi Arabia.
- In 2013, Dr. EL Zowalaty was awarded a short-term fellowship from the Academy of Medical Sciences in London, U.K., where he worked in the laboratory of cell and molecular biology at the Postgraduate Medical Institute, Anglia Ruskin University, U.K.
- More recently, in 2014, he was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship at the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, where he was trained in the development of influenza vaccines using virus like particles.
- Currently Dr El Zowalaty is appointed as an associate research professor of virology and microbiology at School of Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa.
- Dr El Zowalaty is contributing to the scientific literature in virology and microbiology and has published more than 40 scientific articles in peer reviewed ISI journals, and has delivered several plenary talks in international conference.