PO Box 122 Gordonvale QLD 4865,
71378 Bruce Highway Meringa QLD 4865.
Applied Agricultural Entomology and Plant Biosecurity specialising in Coleoptera and Hemiptera.
- “Dr Powell has strong theoretical and practical skills and is internationally recognised for his ability to innovate novel and practical approaches to plant biosecurity pest and insects that may be vectors that spread diseases and viruses,” Dr Ward said.
- “The Far North sugarcane industry is a possible front line for future pest incursions, so it is positive news for our industry to have a scientist of Dr Powell’s experience based at Meringa.
- “He will be working with our investors and our researchers across SRA to deliver better outcomes for the industry, and in particular Dr Karel Lindsay, our Mackay-based entomologist working on soldier fly and cane grub research.”
- Dr Powell said that he looked forward to participating in SRA’s existing research projects and collaborations with a range of other stakeholders.
- “Managing insect pests is a vital foundation of crop protection in any industry, and I hope that my insights from other industries will benefit Australian cane growers and millers,” he said.