Department of Urology,
Moss Rehab 3rd Floor,
1200 Tabor Road,
Philadelphia, PA 19141,
metabolic management of nephrolithiasis
- Justin Friedlander, MD, Director of Endourology (endoscopic urologic surgery) and the Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center. Dr. Friedlander specializes in the treatment of kidney and ureteral stones.
- Dr. Friedlander is one of the only physicians in the Philadelphia area to perform percutaneous nephrolithotomy for larger kidney stones by using x-ray guidance to gain access to the kidney, and the stone is removed through a small incision in the flank.
- He does the procedure in one visit, eliminating the need for patients to schedule a separate visit with an interventional radiologist.
- For stone prevention, Dr. Friedlander conducts comprehensive metabolic evaluations, including blood work and 24-hour urine collections, to develop individualized patient treatment plans.
- He also offers ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy, a minimally invasive treatment for stones that involves placing a telescope in the urinary system (through the bladder) and uses laser energy to break stones.
- With this technique, all stones are removed under direct visualization.
- Shockwave lithotripsy is another option for certain patients in which an external device generates shock waves that are targeted at stones to break them into tiny fragments that can pass in the urine.
- Dr. Friedlander earned his medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY, and completed an internship in General Surgery from North Shore-Long Island Jewish School of Medicine in Hempstead, NY.
- He completed a residency in Urology from the Arthur Smith Institute for Urology at Hofstra North Shore-Long Island Jewish School of Medicine and a fellowship in Endourology from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas.