Department of Neurology,
Graduate school of Medical Sciences.
- Neuroimmunological research on multiple sclerosis
- Cell biological research on motor neuron diseases
- Dr. Jun-ichi Kira is Professor and Chairman in Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Graduate School of Medical Sciences at Kyushu University.
- His current research areas are immunological and immunogenetical studies of multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica, clinical and immunological studies of atopic myelitis and immunological studies of motor neuron diseases and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.
- He also acts as chief investigator for several clinical trails of disease modifying drugs against multiple sclerosis in Japan.
- Dr. Kira has more than 30 years experience in Neurology and has published more than 350 original scientific articles in this field.
- He worked as a visiting fellow at the Section on Myelin Chemistry, NIH, Bethesda, in the U.S from 1982 to 1985. After completing his research in the U.S, he became an assistant professor at Kyushu University.
- He has served as a Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurology at the University since 1997.
- Dr. Kira is a corresponding member of the American Neurological Association, editorial board member of Multiple Sclerosis Journal, Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders and Journal of the Neurological Sciences.
- He served as a president of the Japanese society of Neuroimmunology from 2012 to 2016.