Vasculitis Research Unit.
Department of Autoimmune Diseases,
Hospital ClÃnic of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
Vasculitis Research Unit
Department of Autoimmune Diseases
Hospital ClÃnic of Barcelona
Vasculitis, Giant-cell arteritis, Polymyalgia rheumatica, Single-organ vasculitis, Autoinflammatory Diseases
- Hello to everyone. I am Pepe Hernández ( J. Hernández-Rodríguez ), consultant in the Service of Autoimmune Diseases of the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona.
- All my professional life, since my last years of residency in Internal Medicine, back in 1997 and with Dr. Maria C.
- Cid, I have dedicated them to the assistance and research on systemic vasculitis in the Hospital Clínic, within of the Vasculitis Research Group.
- My beginnings were marked by the knowledge on the clinical aspects of the patients affected by giant cell arteritis and in the research on its etiopathogenesis.
- About this entity I did my doctoral thesis in 2003. During my stay from 2006 to 2008 at the Vasculitis Center for Care and Research in Cleveland, Ohio (USA), with the help of Dr. Gary S. Hoffman, I dedicated myself to deepen the knowledge of other systemic vasculitis, and in particular of isolated vasculitis.
- I am currently involved in the care of patients with vasculitis, conducting multicenter clinical trials, collaboration in the European Vasculitis Study Group (EUVAS), as well as in clinical and basic research in these diseases.
- In addition, I am a clinical professor at the University of Barcelona (UB) and professor and co-coordinator of the subject of vasculitis in theMaster of Autoimmune Diseases of the UB.
- I know that many of you have been students of this Master, and that thanks to it you have been able to keep in touch and even continue to be dedicated or involved in these very exciting diseases.
- Although the vasculitis still occupy most of my time, in the last 7 years I also dedicate myself to the assistance of patients affected or with suspected autoinflammatory diseases.
- To this end, we have recently created the Clinical Unit of Autoinflammatory Illnesses , in which we collaborate with the Diagnosis Unit of Autoinflammatory Diseases of the Immunology Service of our hospital.
- On April 24 we held the first Expert Meeting on Autoinflammatory Diseases attended by about a hundred doctors interested in these diseases from various Spanish hospitals.
- Let me tell you that good memories, both professional and personal, after your passage as rotating by the Service or as students of the Master, is mutual. Therefore, I hope we keep in touch, either through this blog or by email.
- I also encourage you to recommend the assistance to our Master to your friends and colleagues, in order to maintain and expand the network on knowledge of autoimmune diseases and the personal network, both equally enriching!
- Finally, in addition to some sessions, conferences and congresses, in which we participate or coordinate, and that you can follow through this blog, I recommend this online course (training and participatory) of live conferences on autoinflammatory diseases. It's called BeConnected, and you can access it after registering at this address.