1005 Dr. DB Todd Jr. Blvd,
Nashville, TN 37208, United States.
Oral and systemic disease, particularly involving diabetes and periodontal disease, early detection of oral cancer and oral complications of HIV/AIDS
- Dr. Janet H. Southerland served as Dean at the Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry from 2001-2013.
- Previously she served as the Chair od Hospital Dentistry, Chief of Oral Medicine at UNC School of Dentistry and Director of the UNC Hospitals Dental Clinic from 2000-2011.
- She received a doctorate of dental surgery degree (D.D.S.) at the University Of North Carolina UNC School Of Dentistry in 1989, has a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene and a Bachelor of Art in Zoology, both earned at UNC.
- Dr. Southerland also completed a master’s of public health degree from the UNC School of Public Health and a Ph.D. in Oral Biology from the UNC School of Dentistry.
- Her research interests include the study of the relationship between diabetes and periodontal disease and early detection and interventions for oral cancer as well as oral manifestation of HIV/AIDS.
- Dr. Southerland is an active member of national organizations that include, but are not limited to, the American Dental Association, American Association of Dental Research, and the International Association for Dental Research, the National Dental Association.
- She is also very active in several local organizations such as, the Tennessee Dental Association, Capitol City Dental, Pan Tennessee, a member of the METRC committee and RCMI committee, a member of the board of directors for the Nashville Care Board, a fellow for the Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ) National Advisory Committee and a member of the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) program funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Dr. Southerland is the loving wife of Johnnie S. Southerland and has four children, Antonio Andricus, Langston, and Selwyn.