Vanderbilt Center for Human Nutrition,
514 Medical Arts Building,
1211 21st Avenue,
Nashville, TN 37232,
nutrition, diet, metabolism, body composition, energy balance, obesity, diabetes
- Dr. Silver joined the VICC in fall 2003.
- Her current research targets the role of inflammation on the clinical outcome of skeletal muscle wasting in solid tumor patients.
- She has conducted prior studies on nutrient intake, nutritional status, body composition, energy expenditure, and health outcomes of cancer and its treatment in head and neck cancer patients - primarily those patients on tube feedings and those consuming liquid oral nutrition supplements.
- Previously, she was a Research Assistant Professor at Florida International University's Center on Nutrition and Aging following completion of her doctoral degree.
- Dr. Silver's prior research targeted nutrition support, food and fluid intake issues of older adults after hospital discharge in home and community settings, and family caregiving.
- She has convened two national issue panels on implementing the Dietary Reference Intakes in Older Americans Act Nutrition Programs.
- She has also provided public testimonies to the US Department of Health and Human Services for expansion of Medical Nutrition Therapy benefits to older adults in post-acute care settings.
- She serves as President for the Aging Research Interest Section of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences.
- Dr. Silver has extensive clinical expertise in the provision of parenteral and enteral nutrition support, especially in the areas of trauma; critical care; short bowel syndrome, intestinal failure and intestinal transplant; malabsorption; eating disorders; oncology; and pre-gestational diabetes.