Gian Maria Pacifici,
Associate Professor of Pharmacology,
Via San Andrea 32,
56127 Pisa, Italy.
- Professore Associato di Farmacologia (Italian equivalent of Associate Professor of Pharmacology), Medical School, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy;(Previous position)
- Field of work: Clinical pharmacology;
- Main scientific interests: Neonatal clinical pharmacology.
Memberships of Professional Society:
- Member of the European Society of Developmental and Pediatrics and prenatal Pharmacology (EDPP).
Research Experience and Past and Present Appointments:
- September 1971-April 1974: Research fellow at the Institute for Pharmacological Research Mario Negri (Laboratory of Clinical Pharmacology) Milan, Italy.
- May 1974-May 1978: Different positions at the Department of General Pathology, Medical School, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- September 1978-August 1979: Research Fellow at the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK.
- September 1979-August 1980: Research Fellow at the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, at Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden.
- September 1980-June 1983: In 1983, the applicant achieved the Ph.D. in Medical Sciences at the Karolinska Institute, Huddinge Hospital, Department of Clinical Pharmacology.
- July-September 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1984: Research Fellow at the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden.
- From June 1983-1984: Associate Professor of Pharmacology at the University of Pisa.
- July-September 1985 and 1986: Fellow at the Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden.
- July-September 1987: Honour Research Fellow at the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Liverpool, UK.
- July-August 1988: Fellow at the Unit of Clinical Pharmacology, Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA.
- August-September 1989: Fellow at the Unit of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK.
- October 1993: Visiting Scientist at the Department of Pharmacology, Arizona University, Tucson (AZ, USA). The object of the visit was learning the techniques for slicing human tissues and the use of tissue slices in studies of drug metabolism.
- January 1989-2004: Associate Professor of Pharmacology at the University of Pisa.
- 2005-till present: At present, the main scientific interest of Gian Maria Pacifici is the study of the clinical pharmacology of drugs which are administered to neonates. In particular, he published three articles on the placental transfer of drugs in man.