Hospital S. Giovanni di Dio, 50100 Florence, Italy.
- antiepileptic drugs
- Dr. Gaetano Zaccara was born in Ancona, Italy on July 13th 1948.
- Graduated in Medicine at the University of Florence on march 6th 1973, he specialized in Psychiatry in 1977 and Neurology in 1982.
- In 1975 and 1976 he attended the clinical pharmacology unit at the Research Institute “M. Negri, in Milan.
- In 1988 he attended the laboratories of neurophysiology at the John Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA.
- From September 1980 he was an assistant of Neurology at the Department of Neurological Sciences of the University of Florence
- Since September 1992 he has been head of the Neurology Unit at S.M. Nuova hospital, Florence and since june 2010 head of Neurology Unit at S Giovanni di Dio Hospital.
- Teacher at the University of Florence for specialization programs of Psychiatry and Neurology, as well as author of about 150 publications.
- Main areas of interest are epilepsy and clinical pharmacology of antiepileptic drugs
- Dr Zaccara has performed several studies on new antiepileptic drugs.
- In the last five years he has been involved as principal investigator in four double-blind studies with the new drugs.
- One study with retigabine, one with levetiracetam and two studies with pregabalin.