Chemical Industries Division,
National Research Centre,
- Biomaterials field is an interdisciplinary area and typically involves in the development of biological substitutes to restore, maintain, improve or regenerate damaged tissue structure and function.
- Specific research areas within this field: Fabrication and characterization of biomaterials for medical and biotechnological applications, i.e. bioceramics, biopolymers and their composites. Processing technologies for soft and hard tissue engineering scaffolds and matrices.
- Material/cell interaction mechanisms to direct stem cell fate for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine purposes, including cellular attachment, proliferation and differentiation as well as nanoparticles cellular uptake, cytotoxicity and intracellular targeting.
- Müller WEG, Ackermann M, Tolba E, Neufurth M, Wang S, Schröder HC, Wang XH.(2016). A bio-imitating approach to fabricate an artificial matrix for cartilage tissue engineering using magnesium-polyphosphate and hyaluronic acid. RSC Advances. 6:88559-88570.
- Wang XH, Ackermann M, Wang S, Tolba E, Neufurth M, Feng Q, Schröder HC & Müller WEG. (2016) Amorphous.polyphosphate/amorphous calcium carbonate implant material with enhanced bone healing efficacy in a critical-size defect in rats. Biomed Mater. 11: 035005.
- Wang XH, Wang S, Feng He,Tolba E, Schröder HC, Diehl‐Seifert B, Müller WEG (2016). Polyphosphate as a bioactive and biodegradable implant material: induction of bone regeneration in rats. Adv Eng Mater.18:1406-1416.
- Müller WEG, Neufurth M, Wang S, Tolba E, Schröder HC & Wang XH. (2016). Morphogenetically active scaffold for osteochondral repair (Polyphosphate /alginate/ N, O-carboxymethyl chitosan). Eur Cell Mater. 31: 174-190.
- Müller WEG, Neufurth M, Tolba E, Wang S, Geurtsen W, Feng Q, Schröder HC & Wang XH. (2016). A biomimetic approach to ameliorate dental hypersensitivity by amorphous polyphosphate microparticles. Dent Mater. 32: 775-785.
- Müller WEG, Schröder HC, Tolba E, Neufurth M, Diehl-Seifert B & Wang XH. (2016). Mineralization of bone related SaOS-2 cells under physiological hypoxic conditions. FEBS J. 283: 74–87.
- Müller WEG, Tolba E, Schröder HC, Muñoz-Espí R, Diehl-Seifert B &Wang XH. (2016). Amorphous polyphosphate-hydroxyapatite: A morphogenetically active substrate for bone-related SaOS-2 cells in-vitro. Acta Biomat. 31: 358- 367.
- Tolba E, Müller WEG, Abd El-HadyB M, Neufurth M, WurmFR, Wang S, Schröder HC &Wang XH. (2016). High biocompatibility and improved osteogenic potential of amorphous calcium carbonate/vaterite. J Mater Chem B. 4: 376-386.
- Müller WEG, Tolba E, Schröder HC, Neufurth M, Wang S, Link T, Al-Nawas B & Wang XH. (2015). A new printable and durable N,O-carboxymethyl chitosan-Ca2+- polyphosphate complex with morphogenetic activity. J Mat Chem B. 3: 1722-1730.
- Müller WEG, Tolba E, Schröder HC, Diehl-Seifert B & Wang XH. (2015). Retinol encapsulated into amorphous Ca2+-polyphosphate nanospheres acts synergistically in MC3T3-E1 cells. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 93: 214-223.