Liver Unit & Center for Autoimmune Liver Diseases,
Humanitas Clinical and Research Center Via Manzoni 113,
20089 Rozzano (MI)-Italy.
Critical interaction between stem like compartment and inflammatory component in cholangiocarcinoma
- Since 2007, Dr. Chiara Raggi has acquired a considerable professional experience in experimental oncology studying cellular and molecular aspects of human hepatocellularcarcinoma, in particular, focusing on CSC aspects of HCC.
- Dr. Raggi holds a PhD in General Pathology (University of Pisa).
- At the end of her PhD program, she joined as a post-doctoral fellow the Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis at the National Cancer Institute (NCI/NIH) directed by Dr. Thorgeirsson SS to continue her studies on human carcinogenesis.
- At the LEC, Dr Raggi’s research work has been focused on the cellular and molecular aspects of human HCC.
- In particular, Dr Raggi has concentrated her activity on CSCs aspects of HCC in addition to participating to other projects at LEC.
- Within her research studies on the CSCs aspects of HCC, Dr Raggi has examined the role of epigenetic modifications on hepatic CSCs.
- One of her recent study (Hepatology,54(3):1031-42, 2011) demonstrated that epigenetic modulation may provide a tool for prospective isolation and in-depth analysis of CSCs.
- Additionally, Dr Raggi has recently developed an innovative in vitro model to analyze CSC response to both cell microenvironment and epigenetic machinery.
- She has been able to demonstrate the importance of the interaction between epigenetic control and local microenvironment in defining the regulation of cancer stem/progenitor cells.
- Cellular context is a critical determinant in the response to DNMT1 inhibition resulting in either a long term epigenetically driven malignant reprogramming or an effective antitumor therapeutic reprogramming.
- These results identify DNA methylation as a key epigenetic regulatory mechanism determining the pool of cancer stem cells in liver cancer and possibly other solid tumors.
- This work has been submitted for publication in Hepatology journal.