School of Health Sciences
University of Southampton
(023) 8120 6559
Bashir A. Lwaleed
South Academic and Pathology Block (MP 11),
Southampton General Hospital,
Southampton SO16 6YD,
Cancer Biology, Flow Cytometry, Immunology, Cancer Research, Cancer Cells, Histology, Cancer Immunology, Hematology, Chemotherapy, Coagulation, Thrombosis, Blood Coagulation, Haemostasis, Cell Therapy.
- Dr Bashir A Lwaleed is Associate Professor within Health Sciences at the University of Southampton.
- I am a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath) since 2008 and have held a PhD in haematology since 1998.
- I am also a Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, a Chartered and Fellow of the Society of Biologist, a Member of the British Society for Haematology, the British Society of Haemostasis and Thrombosis.
- My academic origins lie in academic and clinical haematology, first in Libya, then in the UK, my career subsequently becoming entirely academic.
- This adds up to more than 27 years of experience in university healthcare environments.
- My research studentship and postdoctoral career has been within the research community of Southampton University Medical School.
- In 1999 I moved departments from Haematology to Urology at Southampton University Hospitals, research activity later extending to collaboration with Portsmouth University.
- In 2004 I joined the Faculty of Health Science, with a remit to raise the basic and translational research profile of the group as well as expanding its teaching programme.
- I am an experienced communicator with >155 publications and research presentations, across disciplinary boundaries, from haematology to cancer cell biology and urinary bladder pathologies.
- An extension of this interest in communication is the collaborative links forged with academic departments in Brazil, China and South Africa as well as Europe.
- My research interactions include links to industry with contributions to diagnostic kit development and three patent applications; two published, one filed pending publication.
- I have guest-edited issues of the journal Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- I also act as the Editor-in-Charge for the journal of Advances in Haematology and have written editorials and contributed a haematological chapter for a neonatology book.
- I serve on the editorial board of a number of international journals and review for several journals/publishers and major charitable and governmental grant-awarding bodies.