Professor and Chair,
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
The University of Iowa,
2139 Seamans Center.
- Data mining and knowledge discovery
- Computational intelligence
- Medical informatics and technology
- Design of products, components, processes, and systems
- Process modeling
- Dr. Andrew Kusiak is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at The University of Iowa, Iowa City and Director of the Intelligent Systems Laboratory.
- He has chaired two departments, Industrial Engineering (1988-95) and Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (2010-15).
- His current research interests include applications of computational intelligence and big data in automation, manufacturing, product development, renewable energy, sustainability, and healthcare.
- He has published numerous books and hundreds of technical papers in journals sponsored by professional societies, such as the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Institute of Industrial Engineers, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Nature, and other societies.
- He speaks frequently at international meetings, conducts professional seminars, and consults for industrial corporations.
- Dr. Kusiak has served in elected professional society positions as well as various editorial boards of over fifty journals, including five different IEEE Transactions.
- Professor Kusiak is a Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers and the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. Besides his academic appointment at the University of Iowa.
- His past academic appointments, include the Technical University of Nova Scotia (now Dalhousie University) and the University of Manitoba in Canada.
- He has held distinguished research professorships at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology (China), University of Hong Kong (SAR), and King Abdulaziz University (Saudi Arabia) as well as visiting positions at the University of Lion, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, University of Nancy (France), and the University of Montreal (Canada).
- His graduate students have assumed prominent positions in academia and industry.
- Dr. Kusiak has co-advised PhD students at the University on Munich (Germany) and Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble (France).
- His lab has hosted numerus visitors from different countries.
- Professor Kusiak is a Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers and the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing.