Chemistry of Proteins toxicology hemostatis
- Dr.Andre Lopes Fuly was educated in Rio de Janeiro city, Brazil and received my Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) in 2002, following a post-doctoral fellowship at the same University (2004) working with purification of proteins of Brazilian venomous snakes, studying their physico-chemical properties as well as studying their mechanism of action upon coagulation, platelet aggregation, hemorrhage, myotoxicity, and so on. From 2005 until now,
- I am an Associate Professor at Federal Fluminense University and the chief of a lab, entitled LAVENOTOXI.
- The projects that are being developed under my supervision have the objective to identify on natural products (plants, seaweed and sponges), molecules able to neutralize some toxic effects of snake venoms, since in Brazil and many other countries in the world, accidents with venomous snakes are a public health public.
- Moreover, my group tests such molecules on platelet aggregation and blood coagulation system, since vascular diseases are a health problem, as well.
- In this way, LAVENOTOXI works with Marine Natural Products discovering molecules to be used as antivenom and/or anticoagulation/antiplatelet.