Penn State Cancer Institute,
Dept of Public Health Sciences,
Penn State University,
College of Medicine,
500 University Dr,
Hershey PA 17033.
- Toxicology assays
- Small animal surgery
- Cell culture/ cell migration/ cell proliferation
- Protein translation initiation, Signal transduction
- In vivo gene transfer
- Adeno virus – lentivirus
- siRNA/shRNA mediated stable protein knockdown
- mTOR signaling
- Role of TRPM7 and TRPM8 in regulation of pancreatic adenocarcinoma
- Cell cycle regulation
- CRISPR / TALEN / transgenic mice
- Nanoliposomal delivery of antibodies and drugs to target pancreatic cancer cells in mice
- Histology, immunohistochemistry
- Cell senescence
- HPLC, MALDI-TOF, Mass spectrometry, Western blotting and co-immunoprecipitation
- PCR-based assays
- Mice colony Maintenance
Cellular and molecular biologist by training with expertise in physiology, in vivo gene transfer, RNAi mediated gene silencing, proteomics, nanoliposomes, CRISPR, and cell signal transduction currently a researcher in public health sciences -- TCORS focused on regulation of Tobacco and its role in human diseases – screening, prevention, and experimental therapeutics.
Peer reviewed publications
- Pruznak AM, Kazi AA, Frost RA, Vary TC, Lang CH. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase by 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-D-ribonucleoside prevents leucine-stimulated protein synthesis in rat skeletal muscle. J Nutr. 2008 Oct; 138 (10):1887-94.
- Hong-Brown LQ, Brown CR, Kazi AA, Huber DS, Pruznak AM, Lang CH. Alcohol and PRAS40 knockdown decrease mTOR activity and protein synthesis via AMPK signaling and changes in mTORC1 interaction. J Cell Biochem. Kazi AA and Lang CH. PRAS40 regulates protein synthesis and cell cycle in C2C12 myoblasts. Molecular Medicine. 2010 Sep-Oct;16(9-10):359-71.
- Kazi AA, Pruznak AM, Frost RA, Lang CH. Sepsis-Induced Alterations in Protein-Protein Interactions within mTOR Complex 1 in Skeletal Muscle. Shock. 2011 Feb;35(2):117-25.
- Kazi AA, Hong-Brown, LQ, Lang, SM, Lang CH. Deptor knockdown enhances mTOR activity and protein synthesis in myocytes and ameliorates disuse muscle atrophy. Molecular Medicine. 2010 Sep-Oct;17(9-10):925-36.
- Hong-Brown LQ, Brown CR, Kazi AA, Navaratnarajah M, Lang CH. Rag GTPases and AMPK/TSC2/Rheb Mediate the Differential Regulation of mTORC1 Signaling in Response to Alcohol and Leucine Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012 May;302(10):C1557-65.
- Ly Q. Hong-Brown, Abid A. Kazi and Charles H. Lang. Mechanisms Mediating the Effects of Alcohol and HIV Anti-retroviral Agents on mTORC1, mTORC2 and Protein Synthesis in Myocytes. (World J Biol Chem 2012 Jun 26; 3(6): 110-120).
- Susan M. Lang; Abid A Kazi; Ly Hong-Brown; Charles H. Lang. Delayed Recovery of Skeletal Muscle Mass Following Hindlimb Immobilization in mTOR Heterozygous Mice. (PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e38910. Epub 2012 Jun 22).
- Alex Tuckow, Abid Kazi; Scot Kimball; Leonard Jefferson. Identification of ubiquitin-modified lysine residues and novel phosphorylation sites on eukaryotic initiation factor 2B epsilon (Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013 Jun 21;436(1):41-6).
- Abid Kazi*, Hannah Crossland*, Charles Lang, James Timmons, Philippe Pierre, Daniel Wilkinson, Kenneth Smith, Nathaniel Szewczyk, and Philip Atherton. Focal adhesion kinase is required for IGF-1-mediated growth of skeletal muscle cells and signals through a TSC2-mTOR-S6K1-dependent pathway. (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Jul;305(2):E183-93*equal contribution).
- Protein Biochemistry: Extraction, purification and partial characterization of proteins using isoelectric-focusing [slab gels or rotofor] (1D, 2D), SDS-PAGE, Native PAGE electrophoresis, Western blotting and co-immunoprecipitation.
- Chromatographic techniques: Column Matrix preparation and column packing. Separation of proteins using Ion Exchange chromatography, Affinity chromatography, Size exclusion chromatography, FPLC and HPLC.
- Spectrophotometry and Microscopy: Sample preparation for iTRAQ and scanning electron microscopy, Light and confocal microscopy (A variety of special staining techniques).
- Mass Spectrometry: MALDI-TOF. Separated samples using electrophoresis, staining, excised proteins, destained, processed (digestion with enzymes) and processing and loading on plates, Detection of peaks using laser, spectrum analysis and database search for homology. Processing samples from gels for protein sequencing by Edman degradation.
- Isolation and purification of total genomic and plasmid DNA, restriction enzyme digestion, agarose gel electrophoresis, cloning, Southern blotting, amplification of DNA sequences by Polymerase chain reaction (PCR), DNA sequencing by dideoxy chain termination (dye primer cycling and manual sequencing).
- RNA extraction and purification, Northern Blotting, Ribonuclease Protection Assay (RPA), Real Time-PCR.etc
- FACS, Coulter counter, immunostaining, ELISA, etc
- In vivo electroporation of plasmids into animals.
- Primary cell isolation and culture techniques.
- Microinjection of zebrafish embryos.
- Whole cell patch-clamp (electrophysiology) to measure cell current.
- Generation of stable cell lines, small animal work, transgenic mouse and zebrafish models, etc.
- CRISPR and TALEN mediated in vivo genome editing.
- Certified Phlebotomist.