Faculty of Science, Helwan University
Department of Botany and Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Helwan University
- The research activities of Professor Badr covered a wide spectrum of topics in plant genetics covering cytogenetic, biodiversity and genetic resources conservation, plant biotechnology, and domestication of barley and clover as well as plant taxonomy and biosystematics.
- His current research interests deal with biodiversity and sustainable conservation of medicinal and threatened plants in arid environments using molecular markers and variation in pharmaceutical compounds.
- He is also engaged in research on molecular assisted breeding of some legumes using gamma radiation.
- Professor Dr. Abdelfattah Badr finished a B.Sc. honor degree in Botany from Assiut University, Egypt in 19972 with grade Distinction and obtained a Ph.D. in Plant Cytogenetics from Sheffield University, England, UK in 1977.
- He earned Professorship at Tanta University in 1986 where he served as a Faculty from 1977 to 2012 and was Head of Botany Department in the Faculty of Science from 1996 to 2002.
- He also worked in Saudi Arabia for 10 years.
- Since 2012, he works at Helwan University. Professor Badr has been a member of several committees in the Ministries of Education, Higher Education and Scientific Research and Antiquities.
- He has been also reviewer of projects for several funding agents in Egypt and abroad and a member of promotion committee for promoting professor and associate professors in Plant Science and Biotechnology.
- He is currently a member of the Council of Environmental Sciences at the Egyptian Academy for Scientific Research and Technology and a member of the Council of the Faculty of Science, Helwan University.
- Professor Badr was granted three research scholarships in England, and the USA funded by the British Council, and the Fulbright Foundation and a fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Germany since 1990.
- He also earned two significant prices, the State Prize for Excelling in Scientific Research in Biological Sciences in 1996 and the Tanta University Prize for Merit in Basic Sciences in 2008.
- Professor Badr published over 120 peer reviewed articles and conference papers in national, and international journals.
- He wrote six books in Arabic published in Egypt and Saudi Arabia and three Electronic books in English for the Egyptian National Electronic Learning Center.
- He supervised over 65 postgraduate dissertations at Tanta University and other ten Universities in Egypt and Saudi Arabia.
- He organized and participated in over 100 conferences, workshops and training courses in sex countries and was invited as a keynote speaker to more than 20 conferences.
- He reviewed and examined of over 150 Dissertations in Egypt and other countries and participated in 10 projects in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Germany and the USA.
- Professor Badr is the Editor in Chief of the Egyptian Journal of Botany and the International Journal of Botany and is Associate Editor and Editorial Board member and Reviewer for over 30 international and Egyptian journals published by international publishers.